Friday, March 6, 2009

The Cask of Amontillado

In our ENG3U class, we read The Cask of Amontillado. I found this story really creepy! Encasing people in walls alive! That's so freaky. I would be afraid to live back in those days. I felt really bad for Fortunato to have to die that way. Did he really deserve it? I'm not really sure. The story doesn't explain what Fortunato did, only that he "wronged" Montresor. What was that wrong!? I want to know. Makes me very curious as to why Montresor had to avenge himself.

I did find it funny and ironic how Forunato's name was Fortunato. Meaning lucky, and he obviously was not lucky! There were many ironic statements in the story. Example, "The cough is a mere nothing; it will not kill me. I shall not die of a cough" and Montresor replies, "True -- true" and it's funny because it is true, but Fortunato doesn't know what Montresor is truly planning. Unfortunately for Fortunato, he will die in the wall. That's a really scary thought.

Aside from the story being outrageously odd, it was a good plot. It was interesting and kept me wondering what is going to happen. Always that question of "what's going to happen next?" I liked how the beginning of the story starts at a carnival, so Fortunato is in a jester's outfit. But it ends in the dark tunnels of the catacombs. Since Fortunato is drunk, he's oblivious to what's happening when Montresor chains him to the wall. Shows you how alcohol is bad. Don't get drunk if you've wronged a friend! I like this story though, even if it is scary.


No comments:

Post a Comment