Monday, April 6, 2009

"True/Lies"

For my ENG3U class, I need to write an essay for my ISU novel "Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time". For my essay, my theme may be about truth and lies. It will be tied into Asperger's Syndrome since that is the disability my protagonist has. Everybody has the ability to lie, but Christopher cannot. His disability will not let him because he does not "feel right" with lying. In the essay, I would interpret Christopher's descriptions of truth and lies. I would tell it in third-person and throughout the essay I may describe all the lies told by his father and mother. There are many secrets both parents hold and do not tell Christopher. Other people, like Mrs. Shears the neighbour, has lied as well. Almost everyone in this novel lies, but Christopher does not. I may explain how telling the truth is such a hard concept and ability to do and how it is much easier to lie these days to not hurt peoples feelings. But I would express the importance of truth and how Christopher shows this throughout the novel.

I might choose this theme because it is shown throughout the whole novel. It is also very clear that lying is the whole novel’s problem. The father lies about the dog and Christopher’s mother leaving and many others. I'm not exactly sure of all the idea's I will include and the exact theme of my essay but it is a working progress

No comments:

Post a Comment